pinkribbon

pinkribbon
Together We Can Win

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

The Beginning

In late December I went for my normal yearly mammogram. A few days later I received a call and was informed they wanted me to return to the imaging center and have a retake done of my right breast. This had occurred once before a few years back and everything turned out fine so I wasn't too worried. I figured it was just calcification's due to hormone changes, like before.

Unfortunately, this wasn't the case. They told me they felt I should have a biopsy done to rule out cancer.  On Jan. 14th I went to Dr. Parker's office to get the results of my biopsy. He said, "I've got bad news, and good news."  I felt my entire body tighten into a knot of tension and my hands gripped a little tighter on the side of the exam table.  He very firmly, but gently informed me that I had Stage 1 Lobular Carcinoma (ILC).  The good news it was in the early stages and he expected a full recovery.  He continued to explain the pathology report findings and then told me I had two choices, lumpectomy with radiation, or mastectomy. He then went on to inform me that he understood how startling and confusing it was to receive this information and that he was going to set me up for another appointment for the following Friday, this would give me time to digest the diagnosis, to inform my family, to talk to other woman, to read all the information pamphlets he gave me, and then we could discuss any questions I had before setting up a plan of attack.

The next week was spent in a whirlwind of informing family, friends, talking to breast cancer survivors, and doing research on my particular diagnosis. I returned on Friday the 18th and after asking every question I could think of, I think I had like 5 pages of printed questions, I still could not make a decision. Dr. Parker was very patient, very compassionate, and very in depth with his answers. At this juncture he offered to set me up with the Radiation Oncologist and a Plastic Surgeon to discuss the two different procedures with me and explain what they would entailed. I will have to say that all of the medical team with whom I have had contact with so far have been exceptional in their compassion, information, and help, as I've battled with trying to decide what direction I should take.

My first thought process was do a mastectomy and be done with it, however, after careful consideration, doing research until I feel like my brain is going to exploded, and much, much prayer, I think I'm leaning toward a lumpectomy with radiation.

All the doctors so far, feel very positive that the cancer is restricted to the one breast. However, they can not be 100% guaranteed until they do the surgery and check the lymph nodes under my arm. According to the surgeon, and the radiation oncologist, they are fairly confident it has not spread into the lymph nodes. According to them there are no indicators such as lumps are hardness anywhere that can be felt.

The doctors are using words like "full recovery", "excellent candidate", "early stages", "good signs", which are all positive vibes and I'm praying their prognosis turns out to be accurate.


When I ask what I can do to help ensure this turns out with positive results, I am told repeatedly, by the medical team and other survivors, that attitude, and support of loved ones and friends are key.

Therefore, after much thought I have decide to create this blog as a means to keep everyone informed of my progress, as well as a place to share and receive support as I face the trials ahead of me.

Those who know me personally, know I'm usually pretty open and talkative about most things. I want you to feel free and not be afraid to use the "C" word or to ask questions. I understand that this is a journey that affects not only me but all those around me and it's a journey that together we will survive.


God hath not promised skies always blue,

Flower-strewn pathways all our lives through;
God hath not promised sun without rain,
Joy without sorrow, peace without pain.

But God hath promised strength for the day,

Rest for the labor, light for the way,
Grace for the trials, help from above,
  Unfailing sympathy, undying love.













 



4 comments:

  1. Hey Debbie, it does sound very hopeful! Praying the Doctor's are right!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Debbie, for allowing us on this journey with you. I know it won't be easy, but your faith will get you through it.

    Love and prayers,

    Leo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers. they mean more than you can ever know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Debbie, I admire your courage in facing this obstacle, and in using the internet to help others support you and to learn, themselves. You are definitely a survivor. I'm confident you'll be fine.

    Maryetta (maruxa)

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave your thoughts.