Okay, so I'm a little over half way through the radiation treatments. According to the radio oncologist I have 16 treatments left after today. Things have been going well up to this point. I am still doing okay, however, a few of the dreaded side effects are beginning to rear their ugly head.
My breast is becoming more sun-burnt and sensitive with each treatment. Some days it feels as if my t-shirt is made from sand paper. Mornings are my feel good time, as the day progresses the sensitivity worsens and becomes quite annoying.
I am also beginning to experience the difference between being tired and being fatigued. We all know what tired is, however, fatigue slips up on you and slaps you side the head with little warning. I was in bed at four o'clock yesterday afternoon, which is unheard of for me. I can't remember ever having to go to bed during the middle of the day just to rest. I've never been a power napper or day napper so this is an entirely new experience for me. I hate lying in bed knowing the sun is shinning outside and wishing I could be out mowing the yard, or doing some other much needed chore. I suppose this is all part of what is referred to as "the new normal" in all the books and articles on surviving cancer.
I'm learning to try to accomplish most of what needs done before three each day. This morning I did radiation treatment, an hour of chair aerobics swept, mopped, changed linens and washed clothes for Dad, then put a casserole in the oven for supper. I'm writing this update and then I'm going to lie down for a couple of hours.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Please feel free to leave your thoughts.