pinkribbon

pinkribbon
Together We Can Win

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Weird Blood Test

Today I had an appointment with my medical oncologist. She gave me a prescription for Arimidex/Anastrozole, which is used to block estrogen to help lower the risk of reocurrance. I start these meds in 16 days after I finish my radiation treatments.

According to the doctor and pamphlet there are many possible side effects of this drug, like hot flashes, fatigue, headaches,upset stomach, joint pain, insomnia, weak bones, and high cholesterol levels. Praying and hoping the side effects will be minimal since she wants me to take this for the next five years. She did say that if the side effects become intolerable there is another hormone therapy drug we can try.

They also took blood work today to test my vitamin D, calcium, and vitamin C levels to see what supplements I should be taking since this drug is known for weakening bones in some women. The blood work turned into a new experience. What normally takes a few minutes ended up taking almost 30 minutes. The first attempt the nurse could not get any blood at all, which was strange. Then she re-pokes me in a different vein gets two vile's of blood and then I just stopped bleeding before she could get the third vile filled. She then tried using a vein in my hand but again she could not get any blood, so another nurse came over and poked me in yet another vein in my hand and managed to get plenty of blood.  It was all a bit odd. I don't know if the girl just wasn't good at taking blood or what.



Overall, what should have been a twenty minute appointment ended up taking three hours. For some reason every appointment I've had with this doctor has run at least an hour behind, so I've decided I need to be sure to allow at least two hours whenever I have an appointment with her. Thankfully, I don't see her again until May 30th, unless I have problems once I start the meds.

Anyway, that's how my morning went. I wasn't as fatigued today as I was the last couple of days so I managed to get all the wash caught up, floors mopped, bathrooms cleaned, and beds changed.

I truly am beginning to understand the real concept of one day at a time. Oh, and when I opened my gift from the kids today it was a life size drawing of Maddy with her arms opened wide...I love you this much Grandma! Loved it! Thank you Maddy!

God has heard your prayers so keep them coming they mean so much.

Isaiah 41:10 

Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave your thoughts.