
Yesterday was my follow up visit with my medical oncologist and LAC (Life after Cancer) nurse. So far I seem to be accepting the meds okay with minimal side effects, such as muscle and joint pain, but nothing that has proven to be unbearable. The oncologist suggests I use Tylenol to manage any pain or soreness. She said if it becomes intolerable, or if the bone scans show a large decrease in bone mass then she can switch me over to Tamoxifen instead of Arimidex, which also has similar side effects but isn’t supposed to be as bad on the bones. So, as long as I can tolerate the side effects and it doesn’t rapidly speed up bone deterioration I’ll stay on the Arimidex for the next five years, and keep my fingers crossed that it doesn't cause any other unforeseen medical problems.
I am scheduled for a Dexa Scan (bone density test) on June 4th
and then, unless I have any problems or concerns, she will follow up with me in
October. According to the oncologist and nutritionist, exercise and good eating
habits should also help with the joint pain. The LAC nurse said there is a free
exercise program I qualify for on Tuesday and Thursday mornings at the hospital
that lasts 12 weeks. I’m not much of a self-motivator when it comes to
exercising so I’m considering this as it will take me through until the
Learning and Retirement yoga and zumba classes restart.
I go back to the radiation oncologist on June 13th
for a final evaluation with him. The surgeon had said he wanted to do a mammogram
3 months after surgery, so I expect I will be hearing from him in the next
couple of weeks about scheduling that follow up mammogram.
Overall things are going well. It only takes sitting in the cancer
treatment lab and watching others come and go to see just how merciful God has
been to me through this journey. The power of prayer and faith is
unquestionable in my book. I am trying to keep a positive outlook and count my
blessings each day. I do experience some emotional days, another one of the
side effects of the medication. These can be annoying and bothersome; like
crying for no reason at all, or getting angry about nothing, or just feeling
out of sorts for no particular reason. But hey, I’ve been dealing with the
emotional turmoil of unbalanced hormones off and on for years; now I just try
to except it, recognize it for what it is, and attempt to find ways to cope. For
all my family and friends, remember…if I’m having an unusually witchy day it’s
due to the meds, so don’t take it personally.
I still feel some weakness and twinging in my right shoulder
blade and breast, but from what I understand this is normal and could last up
to a year or more, as the nerves and muscles regroup. I’m having to learn my new
limitations, which is a bit frustrating. I guess that’s what they mean by the
phrase, “getting back to a new normal”.
I have taken up drawing with graphite pencil and charcoal as
a stress releaser. I have found it is something I enjoy and it helps a great
deal. I don’t think I’ll ever be a Van Gogh, but when I’m drawing I allow
myself to focus only on the lines and techniques needed to capture the subject,
which allows me to shut out the outside
world and all the voices in my head. (And I have a lot of voices up there.
LOL) Drawing has proven to be a great
mental relaxation method. I have found a few good online tutorials for this
medium and may check into some online classes. As for now, I’m keeping a
sketching journal so that I can monitor my progress. Who knows, I may find I
have a hidden talent.
I will continue to use this site to keep everyone up to date
on what’s happening with me. I can’t thank everyone enough for all your prayers
and thoughts. Please continue to remember me, as cancer has no expiration date,
only milestones.
Debbie, this post is an inspiration to all who might travel the journey you've just been through. I know how some days can really be downers, no matter what the affliction. We have to hang in there and trust God to lift us out of our funk.
ReplyDeleteThanks for posting your thoughts.
Love and prayers,
Leo