pinkribbon

pinkribbon
Together We Can Win

Thursday, November 14, 2013

Follow Up with Oncologist

Wednesday, November 13, 2013

It’s been awhile since I have updated this site, the reason being, praise God, I haven’t had any medical information to update. God is good. Today was my 6-month follow up with my oncologist and she says everything looks good. She didn’t even do any blood work. She listened to my heart, did a breast examine and said she would see me again in 6 months. Originally, she had told me they would take blood work every 6-months, so I asked if they would take blood work at my next appointment, she replied, “Not unless there is something going on that we need to look at closer. Hmmmm??  Okay, I am a little confused. Happy she thinks everything is great enough not to need blood work but isn’t the blood testing how they determine if my red /white blood count is up or down.

When I last saw her, 6-months ago, she said they would do blood work every 6-months, and now she’s basically saying she doesn’t need to do any more blood work, because everything seems fine. Praise God, I am doing great, however, I don’t understand how 6-months ago she told me I would get blood work done at every 6 months checkup and now I don’t have to have blood work done at this 6-month appointment or my next 6-month appointment unless I’m having a problem. It makes me wonder if it’s an Obamacare issue, especially after she made the statement something to the effect, “There’s no need to overtake blood work unless there’s a need”. Never had a doctor say that before. In the past it’s always been, “Let’s take blood work just to be sure”. Strange, wouldn’t you agree?

Also strange is my first follow up mammogram. Originally  I was told I should have my first follow up mammogram done 3 months after surgery, but then at my first follow up visit the surgeon told me I could wait until my normal yearly exam in January, which is a year from my first diagnosis. I’m supposedly considered high risk since I’ve had breast cancer yet now, they suddenly want to postpone doing any blood work or exams a year beyond what they original told me it should be done to insure early detection of any possible re-occurrence. Weird. I’m not worried, just confused as to why suddenly they don’t seem to be concerned, where 6-months ago (before Obamacare) they wanted to poke me and exam me every time they got an opportunity.

Makes me wonder if “early care and detection” is not part of the plan any longer, or if it’s perhaps changed to a “don’t do anything that cost money unless it’s life or death” plan. I’m not going to concern myself with it, I’m putting my trust in God, however; when I go back in 6-months I’m going to request they do the normal blood work to check my red/white blood count and see what they tell me.

Before the doctor came in the nurse asked me when my next annual female exam was due. I explained to her that my primary doctor told me I would need to set up an appointment with a specialist for that, which I didn't understand. She said some general practitioner’s don’t feel comfortable doing the regular exams for high risk patients once they've been diagnosed with breast cancer. She said there office could set me up with a gynecologist. I told her that was fine, however when the doctor came in she informed me there was no reason why my primary doctor could not continue to do my normal female exam. I’m beginning to feel like a hockey puck that keeps being passed back and forth.

Actually, I’m feeling better than I have in years, outside of the joint aches and pains from the meds. I’m not concerned as far as my health, but I’m a little confused as to why all my doctors suddenly don’t  seem to see the need to continue checking blood work, etc., to watch for early detection or possible problems, like they told me they would at the very beginning of this journey. None of the facts have changed so I don’t understand why they have suddenly changed everything they said in the beginning. Well, that’s the story on my follow up visit.

On a more cheerful note I am having an awesome time living each day to its fullest. I am still enjoying my line dance classes and all the new friends I have made there. I am on break for the Holidays from teaching at Learning in Retirement so, now I am filling in some of that time fellow shipping with some of the Ladies who are members of the Red Hat Society from my LIR group. Pictures may be forthcoming. Don’t laugh! I take that back….laugh all you want it’s good for you and that’s our goal, to fill others life’s with laughter.

I am learning, although it be a little late in life, that life is about living, laughing, and spreading God’s love on a daily basis. It’s hard to have a bad day when you are pouring your love out onto others, and it’s amazing at the love you get in return when you focus on others needs before your own.

God is so good and merciful. I am so undeserving, yet so loved. I am thankful He has placed me in a church home where I can use the gifts and talents He has given me to help in spreading His word and His love to others. We have a lot going on at the church during the next couple of months. Our biggest focus at the moment is the Christmas at Camp Rock Children’s Ministry for orphan, foster, and terminally ill children. I feel so blessed that God is allowing me an opportunity to be a part of this mission. This is a completely new territory for me but I know God has a purpose for my involvement. I pray that His will be done and that He will give me the wisdom and courage to accomplish whatever His will is as I continue forward in my service to Him.

This weekend is the church fall festival; next weekend is a musical comedy at the church fellowship hall to raise funds for Camp Rock. Then the next week we will be decorating the church for the Holiday service, then Thanksgiving dinner after service the following Sunday, then the Church Christmas party, and on and on until Community Day, which is in January.  It’s a small church, but a busy one. Praise God!


GOD IS ALL POWERFUL…HE WILL USE YOU IF YOU LET HIM

Philippians 4:6-7 
Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Psalm 116:1-19 
I love the Lord, because he has heard my voice and my pleas for mercy. Because he inclined his ear to me, therefore I will call on him as long as I live. The snares of death encompassed me; the pangs of Sheol laid hold on me; I suffered distress and anguish. Then I called on the name of the Lord: “OLord, I pray, deliver my soul!” Gracious is the Lord, and righteous; our God is merciful. ...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave your thoughts.