pinkribbon

pinkribbon
Together We Can Win

Sunday, July 14, 2013

News Brief

Well, it’s been a month since my last post. Things are going well, for the most part. My first follow-up visit with my surgeon is on August 13th, at which time he will set up my first follow up mammogram. I try not to think about it much, but I suppose it’s normal to get a little anxious from time to time as the date draws nearer.


The Arimidex has taken some getting used to. The first few weeks weren’t too bad, but around week three I began having bouts of uncontrollable emotional distress, like waking up crying and getting upset with myself and others for absolutely no reason. Everything seemed to be intensified, including my sense of hearing and smell. I even began snapping at my bestest friend, which I have never ever done. This began about a week or so before the kids were due home. I started getting depressed that the meds were going to turn me into this mean angry Grandma and I was going to somehow botch the precious limited time I was going to have with my babies. I’m a member of the cancer.org forum and many of the women stated they took sabbaticals from the meds from time to time so I decided I wanted my time with the kids to be as enjoyable as possible, so I would stop taking the meds while they were here. Then of course, I became anxious that stopping the meds this early might not be a good idea so after a couple of days I decided to start back on the meds but take them at night, thinking maybe I could sleep though the emotional side effects. It seems to be working. Either that or I’ve worked my way through the emotional period of the side effects. Who knows? I am considering trying to take the meds again during the day to test the theory and see if my emotional instability returns. One reason for testing this is that the meds seem to give me lots of energy, energy that might prove to be more beneficial during the day. However, if the emotional distress returns then it will be back to taking the meds at night, because I’m not a crier and I cannot handle all the bouts of crying and feeling out of control. Anyone who knows me knows I’m a control freak. J As my girlfriend put it, I was becoming the most in control - out of control person she had ever seen. Not a good combination.


Anyhow, the week with the kids was great. Not nearly enough time, but some is better than none. I did my best to spoil them rotten. I can’t belief how big they’ve grow in just a year. I fear that by the time I see them again they will have out grown bedtime story-time with grandma. My prayer is that maybe our story-time will be something they will never outgrow. A grandma can pray, can’t she? The goodbyes were difficult, as always. God has seen them safely back to Germany. Jackson has had his cast removed and all are doing well. I am truly blessed.



In order to help battle the long-term stress and bone density loss, the meds are known for; I have taken up line dancing with the senior citizens group at our local senior center (The Senior Strutters). They are a great group of women. The oldest lady is 91. I worked with her back when I worked at Levi’s years ago. She has become my mentor. This week she is going to Venezuela to teach line dancing to the kids over there. She is an awesome inspiration. All of the ladies are so encouraging and friendly. Many are breast cancer survivors and have all welcomed me with open arms. Now I do line dancing three days a week, chair aerobics on some Monday’s, play Chicken foot (dominoes) on Tuesday’s and try to walk at least once or twice a week after supper, unless I manage to get in some walking on the treadmill  while I’m at the senior center. I haven’t been this physically active in a very long time. I am enjoying it immensely and it has given me some great results weight wise. Last weigh in I had lost around 12 to15 pounds. Of course, I’m also eating better and am still smoke free. YAY!


The senior center offers many traveling opportunities with the Happy Travelers Group as well; however, I’m not sure how much I will be able to participate, due to Dad’s health issues. They have several trips in the works and I’m hoping perhaps things will work so that I can participate in some of them. I refuse to become a couch potato.


I am also currently searching for a new church home where I can fellowship, strengthen my faith, praise God for all His blessings, and find His path for my life. I truly believe that all things happen for a reason and that God uses His children in ways that we aren’t even aware of, and that as children we sometimes fail and we need our Father to reprimand us, to show us the right path, and led us out of the darkness.


I will be sure to post an update after my follow-up visits. So keep praying, and know that you are also in my prayers. I know many of you are struggling with a variety of tribulations in your own lives. Know that you are on my nightly prayer list. I pray that together, with the grace of God, we may all remain strong and that our trials will only make us better warriors for Christ.

Keep the faith.


John 16:33
I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.”








1 comment:

  1. Deb,
    What you call God's reprimand, I call 'God-slap' moments when God slaps ya across the head and says "This is your wakeup call woman!"
    I love those moments because I think, "Wow, out of billions of people, God thought to wake ME up." But what is more amazing is although I'm a speck of sand, He is waking up the beach, if you know what I mean.

    I'm praying for your continued healing and that you find a place to fellowship where many of God's children will come along side you and lift you to higher ground! Surrounding yourself in His love lifts you to newer heights. Unimaginable heights, and this I pray for you!!!

    You're doing great! Keep it up!!!

    God Bless,
    Joni

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave your thoughts.